Thursday 28 December 2017

Bookish New Year Resolutions



I'm trying something a bit different with this post. I'm stepping outside my comfort zone of book reviews, and into the murky waters of 'New Year Resolutions'. I'm not a resolution maker, but I do like a good list. So this year, I plan on making some bookish related resolutions. Something achievable other than just my usual 'goodreads challenge'. So here goes:


  •  I know I've just said 'other than my usual goodreads challenge' BUT my main goal is still to read 100 books in 2018. There's something deeply satisfying about reading, and making the time to read, that many books in one year. It opens up so many books to me.
  • I will read at least 5 books outside of my normal genre. My normal genre is fantasy, YA, science fiction and historical fiction. This still leaves a large number of options open to me, and ideally I'd like to try something really outside my comfort zone. I'm hoping that by doing so I can find some really good new reads. Read: killman creek (thriller), the child finder (thriller)
  • I will read at least 5 books on my TBR long list on Goodreads. These are books that are more than 1000 pages, that have been sat in my TBR shelf for a long time, and that I really want to read but never seem to find the time or I find too intimidating.
  • I will get my TBR list below 150. I'm ashamed to say I have over 250 books on my TBR list at the moment. These are books I physically own, either on my kindle or on my bookshelf, and have probably been meaning to read for a long time. I will also not purchase any more books until I am under this amount.
  • I will read and donate at least half of all the physical books I currently own. This is for my own sanity and clutter free dreams.
  • I will read at least 12 'classic' books that I have not previously read before. 'Classic' books are those as defined on my Goodreads shelf under 'classics'. Read: Twelfth Night, The Importance of Being Earnest
  • I want to revisit at least 5 old favourite books. These are the books that made me fall in love with reading, and that I always feel guilty about returning to because I feel I should be reading ARCs instead. Read: Northern Kights, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass

And that's all of them. A lot of them link into each other, making the challenges helpful to each other. I'm really desperate to get my TBR list down, but I do fall into the trap of reading old favourites for pleasure. But sometimes, I find a good old favourite comforting. Like revisiting an old friend.

I'll try to update this as 2018 trundles along.

No comments:

Post a Comment