Friday 1 September 2017

Book Review - The Thousandth Floor by Katharine McGee



The Thousandth Floor opens with a beautiful girl falling to her death from the roof of a thousandth floor building, and what follows is a wonderful mash up of every American high school drama I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

This was a complete guilty read for me. I was drawn really easily into all the characters lives, and quickly got caught up in all the secrets and dramas. Avery, beautiful and perfect living in the penthouse, but hiding a dark secret. Eris, who suddenly finds herself having to leave the dizzying heights of the upTowers. Leda, freshly out of rehab and trying to get back on track after her night with Avery's brother Atlas. Watt, hacking expert and quant builder. Rylin, down and out maid who finds an unlikely friendship with her employer. I thought the overall ideas were great, and I enjoyed the fact that the setting was a dystopian type future. If anything I would have liked to have read a little bit more about this world - there was hardly any world building involved in the development of the story, with no explanation as to why there as a thousand storey high building in New York.

If anything there were also maybe too many characters. As I've mentioned before, I'm not a massive fan of multiple points of view, and I found I would skim chapters to get to the more interesting characters - such as Eris and Avery. I also found the characters lacked a great amount of depth to them. Most seemed very one dimensional, and the writing at times seemed very lacking in any real emotion. The ending also left too many things unanswered for me. However, having said all this I still found the book highly enjoyable. I couldn't put it down. A bit like all those American dramas I watch on Netflix. If you love Pretty Little Liars and Gossip Girl you'll love this.

Was it high brow or intellectual? No. But was it fun and entertaining? Hell yes.

- 3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment